Salam. As always, I’m busy with my real life. I don’t have much time to blog like I used to. Alhamdulillah a few projects are coming in and I got my first Newcastle based client. Not a big one but its good to get started in the new town.
Since Google Desktop was discontinued by Google, I tried to look for an alternative. Finally I’ve found one of the best desktop customization tools which is Rainmeter. Although it may sound like it, but it’s not an app to measure the rain.
Here’s a current screenshot of my desktop. I happen to put lots of skin from different themes.
The cool thing about Rainmeter is the ability to customize and even design your own desktop widget or gadget. Within the Rainmeter community, they call it ‘skin’.
My first attempt: Prayer Time skin v1.0.
It’s not that difficult to learn how to design your own skin. The manual is sufficient and even people with no background in programming can do it like myself.
The reason why I created this skin is to alert myself on the current prayer times, especially when living in a four season country where the prayer times change almost everyday. Besides, I wanted to make it easy for all Muslims in the world to check the prayer times without having to open a web browser.
This skin basically will parse the prayer times data from Islamic Finder website every 24 hours. Please note that this skin works as an additional skin to the existing theme. I’m not designing a complete theme because there are heaps of beautiful skin you can choose from such as Omnimo, Enigma and Elegance.
How to install the skin?
1. Make sure you already have Rainmeter installed on your computer.
2. Download the file from here.
3. Extract the PrayerTime folder into any of the folder in the Rainmeter skin folder. e.g. My Document/Rainmeter/Skin/illustro
4. Open Rainmeter from the tray icon.
5. Choose the folder illustro – Prayer Time and choose PrayerTime.ini.
6. Click the Load button.
7. You can place the skin wherever you like on your desktop.
How to setup the prayer times according to your location?
1. Go to Islamic Finder website.
2. Choose your Country and your City.
3. Click on the Add Daily Prayer Times To Your Website button.
4. Choose the XML Format
5. Select All and Copy everything in the textbox
6. Right click on the Prayer Time skin and choose Edit Skin.
7. In the URL section, replace the entire URL with the one from IslamicFinder
8. Go to menu File and Save.
9. Right click on the Prayer Time skin and choose Refresh Skin.
UPDATED: Please go to the official Waqtu: Rainmeter Prayer Times Skin to get the latest version!
I hope you find this skin useful. If you have any inquiry or would like to give feedback, feel free to drop a comment in the comment box below.