Basically, Wikimapia is an online version of GE. But it has many interesting features unlike GE.
- It is totally lightweight and it load faster than GE
- You don’t have to download any software into your machine
- It has extra views – Map view and Hybrid view
- Visitors can plot outline of certain area
- Visitors can rearrange the plot
- Visitors can easily alter the information and give comments
- Visitors can upload images and its faster than GE
- Map view and Hybrid view can help us identify the building name as well as street names. Plus there are arrows to show the direction of the road
- You can embed the map on your website, like this one. I’m showing some part of UIA. Can you identify which one is KAED building?
However GE also have some advantages
- You can measure certain distance by plotting on the road
- It has cool transition between places. I love to spin the globe like a ball
- You can see 3D buildings and terrains. Very cool.
The result is: Wikimapia 9, Google Earth 3
So Wikimapia win the match. This is just my simple and quick analysis between the two. You should evaluate on your own and tell me what do you think of it.